Saturday 3 December 2011

Sew Darn Happy


So last week I went to visit my friend Kristy in Didsbury for a little sewing party! Never sewn before but it's always something I'd wanted to have a go at. Considering my love of all things fashion, it seems like the natural next step to try and make some clothes of your own! 

I bought some material from a great shop in Manchester's Northern Quarter called Abakhans. It's literally like Aladdin's cave in there, hundreds of different kinds of materials, buttons, patterns, trimming. All you could possibly want to make your own clothes. They have bargain bins full of offcuts too which is where I got the material for my skirt from. It cost a measly £3.75!

Kristy showed me how to make a basic elasticated waist skirt, hemming the top and bottom then pushing through the elastic for the waistband. It was actually really simple to make. The material wasn't the easiest to sew and probably not the best choice for my first attempt but I'm pretty darn happy with the result! I love the colour, it's perfect for the party season, although I seem to leave a trail of glitter wherever I sit in it!

It's inspired me to make more things so I've asked for a sewing machine for Christmas. So watch this space, I'll be the next Westwood before you know it :)

Soph xx

No comments:

Post a Comment